I googled ‘what makes a good teacher’ and got quite a few hits. Clearly this is something that has been thought about and considered by a lot of people around the world. Teachers are important because they help to shape the next generation of people, and good teachers can have a long term effect that goes well beyond just getting good/bad marks in their subject.
Here are a few examples I’ve gleaned from my surfing.
- good teachers really want to be good teachers
- good teachers listen
- good teachers take risks
- good teachers never have enough time
- good teachers love their subject and are able to convey this
- good teachers are firm but fair.
- good teachers are fun
- good teachers try to understand their students
When I was at school my favourite teachers were the ones who loved their subject and made me love it too. They were the ones with a sense of humour but good classroom management skills. Most importantly, they were the ones that made me feel like I had really achieved something.
Usually these were the same people.